Richard Pennant, Samuel Worthington, and the Mill at Penlan (Archäologische Denkmalpflege, Sonderband, 1)
A History of the Penrhyn Mills on the Lower Ogwen
During the course of its life, from 1796 to 1955, the mill underwent five phases of development. Beginning life as a flint mill, in 1835, it was converted for milling corn, retaining this function until the end of 1901. At around the same time the adjoining stable was built and in 1852 a warehouse extension and private railway siding were added. Further buildings were added in the 1880s. Another unusual feature was its water supply, which was designed not only to provide a power source for the mill itself but also to power the waterwheel, feed the aqueduct, and turn the turbine at the adjacent Felin Isaf site.
The history of Penlan Mill is not just about a building but also about the principal characters who were involved in its construction and development; in particular Richard Pennant and Samuel Worthington. For anyone with an interest in the history of Llandegai and its development it is a story that deserves to be told.